Wednesday, 22 February 2017

Flying Long Haul With Children! TIPS


Oh Hai, 

If you follow me on instagram (if you don't, what? why?), you'll know that I recently took Darcy out to Disney World in Orlando and that obviously, it involved a long haul flight. 


I've had a few messages and comments asking how I find this or if I have any special tricks for getting through it all so I thought a blog post might be apt. 

We're really lucky and have had to opportunity to travel long haul quite a few times. In fact, in her five years, Darcy has been on ten foreign adventures, so that's twenty flights, eighteen of which have been long haul across the Atlantic to either Orlando or Seattle (both over 8 hours away). 


I've picked up a few little tips and techniques but what I will say is that every child is different and you know best how to care for your own. Just because something works for one mother, doesn't necessarily mean it will work well for another. 

We first started flying when Darcy was 2 years old. My whole family flew out to Orlando on a virgin flight sat in economy. It was really cool to have three rows of people I knew and loved and also meant that Darcy had plenty of people to play with and cuddle, so that definitely helped. I took a lot of small toys on that trip, a really really lot. I think I had about three sandwich bags full of little toys for her to play with. I bought them all new so that she'd be super interested in them and spend a bit longer with each one- that's your goal here- occupy as long as possible! 



On subsequent flights I've taken the toys and added things in like stickers (children live for stickers, any stickers, all the stickers), crayons (although I've found she's bored of these now and would rather feel a bit more superior and use a biro) and, at the grand old age of five, her all time love, the iPad. I know we're all for lowering screen time and letting littles have golden experiences like milking cows and running freely through meadows of blooms but let's face it, a bit of screen time on a flight isn't going to give them brain rot but it is going to give you your sanity. We have a Leap Frog tablet with loads of non wifi needing games loaded onto it but you could always download a few apps to your iPad or phone before you fly. 


(Did you know one woman can drag three cases, wear a backpack and keep a child in check all by herself- women are crazy strong!)

Most long haul planes will have little TV screens in the seats- take advantage of these! It's Darcy's dream day when I say, 'you know what, sit down with a blanket and just stare at a film for a few hours, I don't mind' and on the flight, I'm fine with it. Once we flew out to Seattle with Delta and the screens didn't work, at all. That's 9 hours in small chairs with a four year old who wants to know if we're nearly there yet. I hadn't bought the iPad thinking, 'she won't want that if there are tv's available' and I regretted it all the way across the ocean. 


Snacks are your friends. Most planes serve food, drinks and snacks throughout the flight and most of the time it's really quite nice. Sometimes though, you're little cherub decides they hate everything, even peas which they liked a lot the day before but now, no, they detest them. They also now detest chicken and pasta and bread and salad and perhaps even orange juice. Cool. Hopefully this won't happen to you but on the off chance it does, wouldn't you be glad that you bought a plain cheese sandwich and a banana from Pret before you boarded the flight? You might even be glad you bought those four kit kat chunkys that you can eat feverishly in the toilet every hour so that you can cope. Buy some snacks. If you don't eat them, you've wasted a tenner. If you do, you're both happy people and that's a risk worth taking. 



Dress your bambino is comfortable clothes. That Baby K trouser one piece is adorable but it's not going to be so fun when you have to wrangle them out of it to almost nudity for them to have a wee in the very small loo on board. Leggings, tee shirt, jumper and trainers are my usual go to and can be de-layed if you're arriving somewhere hot and you've packed a pair of shorts. Always take a spare set of clothes incase there's an accident (from them, from someone else or turbulence) and if it's a night flight, consider jimjams- nobody will judge you, I've done it quite a few times and it's great because they're automatically dressed for sleep and it helps them nod off- yay, wine and film time for you!!

(This was just before we discovered that the tv's on the plane didn't work on our flight.)

This is very luxurious and I'm aware not for everyone but we have flown in a variety of different 'classes'. I don't really like the term classes because it sounds a bit elitist but that's what airlines call them. We've flown business with British Airways (very nice but make sure you book a child's meal otherwise your little one is going to be eating a herb encrusted stick of asparagus and a perfectly marinated piece of salmon), and premium economy with Virgin. We've also travelled economy with Delta, British Airways and Virgin. I have to say, I don't think the seating arrangements makes any difference to a child's behaviour. All they give a monkeys about is the TV, snacks and toys. However, I'll be blunt, that level of comfort made a big difference to me. A lot of our trips have been just me and the child and to be able to skip lines, sit in a spacious, enclosed (business has little walls and windows), environment with everything easily on hand makes life lovely. If you're travelling solo with a child and you can upgrade (I know, it's extortionate), just consider it. 

(Do you know how fun it is to lug your giant car seat across the world? Zero fun, that's how much, zero). 

One of the biggest things I have done for each and every flight (even a 2 hour squeezeyjet flight to Spain) is talk, talk, talk about it before hand. The more you talk about it, the more familiar they are with the concept and the less of a shock everything is going to be when the board or when you ask them to do something. When she was very little, we practised sitting nicely with legs out and hands on knees (sounds tedious but she was game for it during the flight so I was glad of all the, 'shall we play aeroplanes?') and we now talk about the plan for the flight. So, 'This flight is going to be so fun! We're going to watch a film, have some lunch, have a nap and then when you wake up, you can watch another film or play with the toys'. I find that if Darcy has a brief outline of how things are going to play out, she's much more able to behave. I get it, I like to know where I am with things too. 

I hope some of these tips have been useful to you. Ultimately, all you can do is do your best. Give them something to sip or suck for taking off and landing (ears and pressure don't always mix) and cut yourself some slack- it's hard work parenting in such a squished environment, nobody is going to judge you if your child isn't a perfect angel all the time and you don't need to feel fretful about it. 

Sit back, put their headphones on and enjoy your flight!

Toodlepip!

xx

PS- Leave your tips below- I'm sure they'll be helpful to everyone else as well as me! 



27 comments:

  1. Love the play aeroplanes one :-) great idea xx loved seeing all your disney pics on your facebook page xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for this advice, I'm taking my 6 year old sister to Orlando Florida and it will be her first flight (I've flown a few times long haul so I know how boring it can be for little ones) when I flew last year with my family I found that if the kids had a familiar blanket from home to sleep with it helped out a lot.
    Ive found your videos and tips very helpful with Darcy and Savannah being around the same age it has given me a good head start on knowing what parks and rides she will enjoy the most.

    Thank you for your help

    Sincerely a very thankful older sister x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm looking to take my little girl away to Orlando when she's a bit older but I'm not to sure on what age is best to take her. I will certainly be taking some of these tips with me.

    Tasha x

    http://itsatashathing.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. This helps so much and I Am so glad because Now I am thinking that I might be able to survive our flight in the summer to Vancouver

    ReplyDelete
  5. I will be flying from Australia back to the UK in August with my 6 and 7 year old, 24 long hours, so these tips are much appreciated :)

    www.hayley-sarah.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post, love the style of your blog! If you get a moment please check out my lastest post too if you can. Looking forward to your next one ��

    http://www.nataschacox.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am very happy when read this blog post because blog post written in good manner and write on good topic. Thanks for sharing valuable information.
    Bangalore Web Designing Company, Web Development Company Bangalore

    ReplyDelete
  8. Really helpful post and by the way, Darcy is so cute!! ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  9. As someone who works on aeroplanes I really appreciate when people make posts like these. I think the one thing that should be emphasised is something to suck on. The pressurisation changes in the aircraft as it climbs and descends and adults know how to clear their ears, but a child won't. It's very uncomfortable if you can't clear them so definitely would recommend that. Also hand sanitiser is a must �������� great post xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this Louise! I'm flying for the first time long haul next month! Xx
    http://sophheydoll.blogspot.co.uk/?m=1

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely, Louise! You're a real inspiration to me ❤
    Check my blog, please. I need some feedback, hehe. ^_^
    http://bxbeatrix.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi dear,

    Nice day!

    This is Irfan Mustafa from Japan Import, which sells JEINDEER Eyelash Curler.

    Your blog is awesome and you have a great taste on fashion and beauty. I'm inviting the partners like you to have a cooperation.....

    we will cooperate via review post. We will send you a JEINDEER Eyelash Curler for free.

    If you are interested in this cooperation invitation, please reply to me.

    Thank you for reading this cooperation invitation patiently


    Best regards,
    Irfan Mustafa
    yazanwirsa@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am a 28-year old woman and travel quite frequently for work (also overseas).. and right now I seriously wish that someone so thoughtful as you, would acompany me everytime to "navigate" me through these flights. I'm not afraid flying or anything else, but for some reason, I turn into a very chaotic person once entering the airport. :)
    I really think that some of these tips can be applied even to adults. So me and my future kids are thanking you a lot for this great post!
    Have a good one!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Good day,,,,
    Read my testimony!!! Getting ex back after a breakup. Am Cora L. Sanchez 30 from UK, my boyfriend of a 2year just broke up with me and am 28 weeks pregnant. I have cried my self to sleep most of the nights and don’t seem to concentrate during lectures sometimes I stay awake almost all night thinking about him and start to cry all over again. Because of this I end up not having energy for my next day’s classes, my attendance has dropped and am always in uni and on time. Generally he is a very nice guy, he ended it because he said we were arguing a lot and not getting along. He is right we’ve been arguing during the pregnancy a lot. After the break up I kept ringing him and telling him I will change. I am in love with this guy and he is the best guy I have ever been with. I’m still hurt and in disbelief when he said he didn’t have any romantic feelings towards me anymore that hurt me faster than a lethal syringe. He texts me now and then mainly to check up on how am doing with the pregnancy, he is supportive with it but it’s not fair on me, him texting me as I just want to grieve the pain and not have any stress due to the pregnancy. i was really upset and i needed help, so i searched for help online and I came across a website that suggested that Dr Ahmed can help solve marital problems, restore broken relationships and so on. So I felt I should give him a try. I contacted him and he told me what to do and i did it then he did a spell for me. 22 hours later, my boyfriend came to me and apologized for the wrongs he did and promise never to do it again. Ever since then, everything has returned back to normal. I and my boyfriend are living together happily again.. All thanks to Dr Ahmed. as it is a place to resolve marriage/relationship issues, do you want to be sure if your spouse is being faithful to you or Do you want your Ex to come back to you Contact.: E-mail: Ahmedutimate@gmail.com or call/Whats-app: +2348160153829 save your crumbling home and change of grades its 100% safe. I suggest you contact him. He will not disappoint you.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hey, nice to meet you admin, I think you are well.
    here we are with the great review about baby care item and you can visit us for baby stroller, baby bottle warmer, baby walker and lot of baby supporting tools as well. Here you can visit us walker by the Colourful Baby thanks

    ReplyDelete
  16. Purchasing a Classic Car requires thought, research and some arranging. Great autos are generally purchased by devotees to utilize and appreciate.Autoankauf Kiel

    ReplyDelete
  17. Looked like sooo much fun! Wish i could take my little one to disneyworld xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is great advice. I have a six year old daughter and my parents are taking her to florida this summer. Thank you for sharing
    http://whimsicalwolfblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
  19. My wife is back!!!
    My name is Albert Brown. I had a problem with my wife six months ago,which lead to us going apart. When she broke up with me,i was no longer myself,I felt so empty inside. Until a friend of mine told me about a spell caster that helped in same problem too, that she found on Web page. i emailed the spell caster and I told him my problem and I did what he asked me to briefly To cut the long story short,before i knew what was happening,not up to 48 hours,my wife text me and said she wanted to come back and so she came back to me and told me she was sorry about what has happened, she now tell me every time and every day that she loves and miss me. I'm so grateful to this great spell caster Dr Noble and i will not stop publishing his name on the Internet just for the good work he has done. If you need any help you can contact this great man he will help you any any way you want, you can email him at templeofjoyandprosperity@gmail.com i guarantee you that he will also help you okay

    ReplyDelete
  20. I want the world to know a great man that is well known as Dr Miracle,he has the perfect solution to relationship issues and marriage problems. The main reason why i went to Dr Miracle was for solution on how i can get my husband back because in recent times i have read some testimonies on the internet which some people has written about Dr Miracle and i was so pleased and i decided to seek for assistance from him on his which he did a perfect job by casting a spell on my husband which made him to come back to me and beg for forgiveness.I will not stop publishing his name on the net because of the good work he is doing. I will drop his contact for the usefulness of those that needs his help.His Email Dr miracles,,,,"CONTACT Via Email,,,MIRACLESPELLHOME@YAHOO.COM You can contact him today and get your problem solved Or"Call +2348071398555.." Or You Can Also Contact Him Through his Website http://miraclespellhome.webs.com/

    ReplyDelete
  21. Everything is very open with a precise description of the issues. It was really informative. Your site is extremely helpful. Thanks for sharing!
    used cars in Qatar for sale

    ReplyDelete
  22. I would just like to say that even though we only see a little snippet of you being a mummy to Darcy, I have started saying to myself that when i am a mum, i want to be like you. I always love a post about children because even though I'm not planning on having any anytime soon, it's nice to have tip and tricks at the ready so thank you for that x

    ReplyDelete
  23. The blog is absolutely truly incredible. Lots of large information and inspiration, both of which we all need.
    UI Designing Companies in Bangalore, Web Application Development Services in Bangalore

    ReplyDelete
  24. It was a great information and Its really worth reading it. The author did an mind blowing work by describing each and every concept in detail. Thanks for such an informative post. Please keep up your good work.
    Engineering Colleges In Chennai, Nautical Science Colleges In Chennai

    ReplyDelete
  25. It was a great information and Its really worth reading it. The author did an mind blowing work by describing each and every concept in detail. Thanks for such an informative post. Please keep up your good work.
    Engineering Colleges In Chennai, Nautical Science Colleges In Chennai

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hey guys, Get your ex back fast with the help of a real and genuine spell caster called Dr.Unity.
    I'm so excited my broken Marriage has been restored and my husband is back after a breakup, After 2 years of marriage, me and my husband has been into one quarrel or the other until he finally left me and moved to California to be with another woman. i felt my life was over and my kids thought they would never see their father again. i tried to be strong just for the kids but i could not control the pains that torments my heart, my heart was filled with sorrows and pains because i was really in love with my husband. Every day and night i think of him and always wish he would come back to me, I was really upset and i needed help, so i searched for help online and I came across a website that suggested that Dr Unity can help get ex back fast. So, I felt I should give him a try. I contacted him and he told me what to do and i did it then he did a (Love spell) for me. 28 hours later, my husband really called me and told me that he miss me and the kids so much, So Amazing!! So that was how he came back that same day,with lots of love and joy,and he apologized for his mistake,and for the pain he caused me and the kids. Then from that day,our Marriage was now stronger than how it were before,All thanks to Dr Unity. he is so powerful and i decided to share my story on the internet that Dr Unity real and powerful spell caster who i will always pray to live long to help his children in the time of trouble, if you are here and you need your Ex back or your husband moved to another woman, do not cry anymore, contact this powerful spell caster now. Here’s his contact: Email him at: Unityspelltemple@gmail.com ,
    you can also call him or add him on Whats-app: +2348071622464 ,
    his website:http://unityspelltemple.yolasite.com .
    Jessica, 26 years, Texas, USA.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Nice meet admin,
    Here i have found your blog from the first page of Google and it's really
    to hear about your voice,
    By the away, here the Colourful Baby with some good stuff for the USA babies. And you
    can visit our officil website best baby walker thanks

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for comment!
Sprinkleofglitter xxx

 photo older.jpg  photo homebot.jpg