Tuesday, 20 June 2017

The First Trimester


Oh Hai,

I've got 15 minutes before I have to dash out the door to collect Darcy from school and rather than do the 85 jobs I have on my list (ring the solicitors, load the washing machine, open the post etc), I thought I'd write this blog post!



With the end of the first trimester in sight (we had our official NHS 12 week ultrasound on Monday which gave us an official due date of January 1st!) I wanted to write up my thoughts and feelings on how it had been. Partly because I know when you find our you're expecting, your favourite thing to do is read anything and everything on the matter and also because I want to look back on this and have captured the moments.

I'll start by saying my first trimester has been a healthy one and that's the most important thing. I had a small bleed at week 11 which felt frightening (should I talk about this further or is it TMI?) but after an emergency scan I was reassured and baby is fine.

I have suffered a lot less than many women. My friend's Marie and Reb both had HG and so comparing my experience and calling it 'bad' feels quite wimpy!

Here's how I felt -

Initially, very overwhelmed. Although we'd discussed and planned to start trying for a baby in Summer, by Spring we were pregnant and I was shocked how quickly it had happened. I felt unprepared and struggled to wrap my mind around the concept. That sounds so silly considering I knew I wasn't being careful with contraception, I knew we were going to try in May and I knew I wanted a baby but still, I felt overwhelmed. A few weeks on though and I'm fully onboard!

Tired. OMG the tiredness hasn't been like, 'oh I'd love a little snooze later', but like, 'shit me I might literally lay down on the floor of Tesco and sleep for 4 hours in a minute'. Thankfully I work from home and Darcy is in school so I've been able to take plenty of rest hours but I can't imagine how challenging it must be for people who work in out-of-the-home environments or Mum's of pre-schoolers. I tip my hat to you ladies!! I still don't feel like I'm back to my pre-pregnancy energy but I'm not napping every day and I'm hopeful that'll get better.

Sick. Whilst I've rarely actually been sick, I feel sick every. single. day. Morning til about 2pm I'm fit as a fiddle and then come the afternoon it's game over. By evening I can't be in or near the kitchen because the smell of everything tips me over the edge and I can't remember the last time I fed the cats their stinky meat pouches! (Don't worry, Liam feeds them!). It's the least fun feeling sick. It sucks the joy out of everything and leaves you grumpy and sloth like. I've noticed it's eased off a bit this last week so touch wood that continues please. Ginger biscuits and regular little dry snacks have helped. I've also been drinking so, so, so much water which I think has helped too.

Hormonal. Sometimes I have felt so low for a few days in a row and googled pre-natal depression because it's so unlike me to feel so down. I think the nausea and tiredness held me back in day to day life and that sucked the joy out of things, making me feel super deflated. I couldn't seem to get any buzz or zizz and just felt quite lonely and grey. I don't think I realised how rubbish I felt until I didn't feel like that anymore because although now I still have moments of anger/sadness that feel much stronger than usual, I don't feel as grey. Liam has been a saint through my moods. God bless him.

As far as pregnancy symptoms go, that's pretty much where I'm at. I've had a few little things like bigger boobs or going to the loo a million times a day but they haven't seemed as news worthy as the ones above.

In all of these things, the things that have helped have been just taking it slow. Boring and tedious but I've found 'pushing through' leads to even more exhaustion, tears and set backs the next day. I'm really thankful to have such a supportive partner in Liam and have felt very much like I'm in a team and not doing it all alone which has been so, so appreciated.

I won't be doing weekly updates on my youtube channel but I might keep you updated a bit more over here if you are interested? I've really enjoyed blogging about pregnancy so I'm sure you'll see a lot more from me over here, do let me know what you'd like to read about!

Toodlepip!

xx



37 comments:

  1. I'm a week away from the end of my 2nd trimester and LOVE reading about other people's experiences!! I was sick about 6 times a day every day in the first trimester, but not (extra) hormonal until the 2nd and then boy oh boy it hit me! would love as many blogposts as possible about baby pentland!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so nice to have you back blogging abit more - Have missed the updates on here! :)

    http://www.theamylauren.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Feeling sick is the worst. I often felt like I would rather actually get sick, because it might provide some relief for a bit. But noooo, instead I just felt nauseous every second of the day! Can't wait to read more updates. P.S. Nothing is TMI when it comes to pregnancy, right? Haha. But for real, I think it's great to be completely open, because lots of women don't know what to expect and feel very alone. If you write about everything, I am sure it could help some people!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember the tiredness with my first, I worked full time in an office and once I fell asleep in front of my supervisor! Safe to say she wasn't too impressed...

    ReplyDelete
  5. My first trimester my little was exhausting too and I worked then. Everything hurt too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My first trimester my little was exhausting too and I worked then. Everything hurt too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would honestly long for a plain sailing pregnancy, wouldn't that be fab! Im due in about 5 weeks time and I'm currently dying in the heat haha. My first and second trimester were bloody horrific, really bad sickness, tiredness, low iron so feeling faint, it was just awful. i remember i couldn't even open my sodding fridge without heaving haha. I'm glad everything is going well for you though, hopefully the next few months will be a little easier regarding the tiredness.. or the second trimester at least, the third is equally as terrible for me! xx

    sophiejc.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  8. congrats congrats congrats!! :) <3

    lillieepad.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Louise, first congrats! I personally would love to hear/read any updates you would like to share. I had my son very young and now in my 30's I am considering more children. I think it would be really nice to hear about what it is like being pregnant now as my pregnancy feels so far away. Best of luck! Also, January babies are the best (not that I am biased or anything)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've been so excited and happy for you ever since you announced this on your Youtube channel! I'm so glad you haven't been suffering too badly, but the morning (afternoon) sickness sounds awful

    Steph - www.nourishmeblog.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm around a week ahead of you, my due date is December 26th. I feel sick all the time too, the worst are the evenings. Thanks for sharing your experiences.
    Please tell me, does it get slightly different when it's your second baby? I'm curious.
    Love,
    Kas Borsuk

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'd love to see blog updates about your pregnancy! My little girl is 6 months now and the time goes so quickly, I completely get where you are coming from about wanting look back on the moments you've captured. I regret that I didn't write more on my blog about my pregnancy and how I felt. I did document my Labour though. All I know is that I miss carrying my little girl but not the tiredness!

    Congratulations!

    Tasha x

    http://itsatashathing.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Louise! We're pretty much at the same stage, I'm due January 2nd �� It will be excited to watch your journey and be on the same journey! Wishing you all the best throughout this pregnancy, I'm so excited!! Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for sharing!

    http://objectsicantafford.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love reading these little updates!! You are doing great Louise!! Luv u x

    ReplyDelete
  16. It seems to be going fast already. I had HG on all 3 of mine and it lasted the full term. With my 1st was still being sick in labour to the point I was almost given a c section because I wasn't able to push without being sick. I had a shower after she was born and was sick in the shower then when I was all nice and clean and back to bed I felt well for the first time since I got pregnant!! I left hospital 4 stone lighter than my pre pregnant y weight. The bleeding is scary i've had it twice. My 1st pregnancy I was told on a Monday I was expecting twins then overnight (I was in hospital on a drip due to HG) I started bleeding and a scan on Tuesday afternoon showed 1 twin had gone. My second bleed was with 3rd pregnancy I had a small bleed but everything was fine.
    I hope you get all your energy back soon. I still haven't and my eldest is 16 next week! I wish you all lots of love and a healthy happy pregnancy. I can't wait to see baby Pentland and for Darcy to be a big sister xxx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hello Louise! Congrats on creating a human! I love reading your blog. I'm not a mom, so reading about pregnancy experiences is even more interesting to me! Blog away!

    <3

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hey Louise, firstly congratulations on this super exciting news! Secondly, I have a little advice for the sickness, try Queezibics, although they claim to treat travel sickness they are also known to relieve all other forms of nausea and they're totally natural! I hope you feel better soon and I can't wait for more pregnant updates!! Xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  19. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  20. It's lovely to hear that your first trimester has gone so well! Sending positive energy for the rest of your journey. I would love to read some more updates whenever you get the chance xx

    ReplyDelete
  21. Yayy!! This is so exciting Louise :) Thanks for sharing x

    Nev | Miss Nev

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thank you, Louise. I love to hear how the first trimester goes for women. Everyone's experience (and body, duh) is so different! Keep it coming, please.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Yessss more pregnancy blog posts please!!! Love ya xx

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hello Louise, congrats to you and Liam. Darcy must be so excited to be a big sister soon, she will be great I'm sure. Mary from Bits and Clips must be over the moon about your pregnancy. You're such good friends. Can't wait to read your future blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I am fisting both my hands together in pure excitement! HUGE CONGRATULATIONS to you, Liam and Darcy! I can not wait to follow your second pregnancy and watch your family grow before our eyes. :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Baby Pentland is due on my 21st birthday! congratulations, so excited for you x x x

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oy my goodness! When I was watching your pregnancy reaction video I was OVER THE MOON for you! Can't wait for baby Pentland! Liam sound like an amazing partner for you, you seem much happier in your relationship, praying that everything will go well for you!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I'm so happy to read that you feel like a team with Liam besides you! I clearly remember one of your vlogs where you were feeling really down and you talked about having to be on your own in the family team, the you-and-Darcy team. I really hoped for you to build confidence in your mummy-daughter team and/or find a new team. So, so happy you did find a new team member! wish you all the best <3

    ReplyDelete
  29. This is so exciting. I'm not really a baby person, but it's lovely to get excited for other people having babies :D xx

    www.gollymissholly.uk

    ReplyDelete
  30. Great to hear the ups and downs of your pregnancy so far. Thanks for sharing :D It's so exciting!

    www.upyourvlog.com

    ReplyDelete
  31. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  32. So happy for you that you're having another baby. I bet Darcy is super excited to be a big sister. I have 2 little ones (not so little anymore though, they are 10 and 8). It's so good that you feel like a team with Liam, that's the best feeling in the world. I love your blog so much, it is the reason that I started mine :) <3

    www.abookishlifestyle.blogspot.com.au

    ReplyDelete
  33. Hannah Knights16 July 2017 at 10:41

    Hi Louise, sorry you had that scare of bleeding just watched your new weekly vlog and your video explaining what had happened, so happy everything is okay. I am 14 and my cousin ha experienced two miscarriages in a row and I know that they were very traumatic for her and her partner, so I know what it feels like to have that fear of losing a baby. For your sickness, I found this website that my cousin had used in her most recent pregnancy and it might help you even though you have probably already seen it:
    https://www.babycentre.co.uk/l25005543/12-ways-to-ease-morning-sickness-photos
    Wishing you the best for the rest of your pregnancy. xx

    ReplyDelete
  34. Oh what wonderful news that you're having another baby! Darcy must be really excited! Thank you for sharing this, it's really interesting to hear about the ups and downs xxxx
    http://mollyalee.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  35. What a lovely blog post! You are such an amazing mum and I can't wait for you to have your baby and to watch you be so happy! Great post, it was really interesting - here's to the second trimester!

    Holly from The Art of Being Holly

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for comment!
Sprinkleofglitter xxx

 photo older.jpg  photo homebot.jpg