photo 1-home-1.jpg photo 2-about.jpg photo 3-sponsor.jpg photo 4-faq.jpg
 photo header.jpg

Tuesday 22 September 2009

Heads Up

Embracing my challenge to make as much as I could from one cut of cloth (see below), I promptly cut out what I would need for the main event- the PE Bag. With the left overs I had a think and decided rather than make a batch of unlinked items, why not make my Niece a few bits so that she has a "set" of spotty cloth items. I have decided that I will make the PE Bag, a zippy (I've never sewn a zip so brace yourselves) cosmetics bag for her hair clips and a little brush (4 year olds don't tend to have many cosmetics after all!) and a scrunchie to keep the hair off her face during PE. If I still have cloth left I shall have to get my thinking cap on and see what comes up.

So my first accomplishment was a cute spotty scrunchie, and I shall tell you how I got there. Are you sitting comfortably? Then let's begin!

To make the Spotty Scrunchie you will need a strip of cloth approx 20cm long and 10-15cm wide. These measurements are incredibly flexible so please don't worry about getting your ruler out. A few pins to hold it all in place before you sew it, a needle and thread or a sewing machine and a length on elastic approx 10cm (I go for the kind that looks like knicker elastic and you can buy a bunch for about 40p at most craft shops or haberdasheries).




Fold your strip of material in half length ways with the spotty side on the inside and sew along the length edges of the material. I pinned mine in place first so I could get a reasonably straight line but it's not too crucial as it will obviously be scrunched up.

Then, turn your now tube of cloth inside out so you have a sleeve of material that you can wiggle your fingers in.
Slip your length of elastic in, with about 3-4cm sticking out the top and pop a couple of stitches in to secure it in place.

Next is the fun bit! Scrunch all the material up the elastic and tie the two ends of elastic together to make a little stretchy ring with all the material scrunched round it. It will now look like a scrunchie bobble but will need the ends tidying up a little. Carefully smooth out the ends and fold over the edges to hide frayed cloth. Then add a few stitches to secure the ends together and Bob's your Uncle- a Scrunchie!!




Next project coming soon, until then, Toodlepip! xx


1 comment:

Thank you for comment!
Sprinkleofglitter xxx

 photo newer.jpg  photo older.jpg  photo homebot.jpg